Fruits feeding

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fruits feeding

Post by Chris on Wed 15 Oct 2008, 12:53 am

Any idea how often can we feed our doggies fruits since they contain sugar in them? Will eating fruits too often cause them to be diabetic?

This is what i found online...wonder if anyone has more to share?

Avoid Foods which Contain Sugar

Most dog owners really have no idea just how much sugar and carbohydrates are contained in manufactured dog food. Carbohydrates are converted into glucose (sugar), by the body. Dry dog food, as well as those soft-moist foods are the worst choices. If you continue to feed your dog commercial dog food, switch to a high-quality canned food instead - and read the ingredients.

Choose Foods Low in Fat

The pancreas regulates insulin and blood sugar levels, it also produces enzymes in the process of breaking down fat. Since you don't want to over-stress the pancreas, choose meats that are low in fat. Avoid ground beef and other red meats and trim extra fat from chicken and turkey. Some fat is necessary for good health...but keep it to a minimum.

Homemade Dogfood with Certain Grains

A homemade diet doesn't have to be hard or expensive. This way, you will know exactly what your dog is eating and how much sugar and carbohydrates they are consuming. Rice, millet and oats are usually the preferable choices to help regulate insulin levels and provide fiber. Remember, animals don't digest grains as well as humans due to their shorter digestive tract so keep it to a minimum.

Raw Fruit and Vegetables

Raw fruits and vegetables provide vitamins and nutrients while helping stabilize blood sugars. The natural occurring sugars shouldn't throw insulin levels out of sync like refined processed sugar.

Fruits are a great idea for a treat between meals; however don't include them with the main meals as the fruit could ferment in your dog's stomach when combined with meats, grains and vegetables.

Most vegetables can be served raw; however a few should be cooked, such as winter squash (good for dogs with diabetes), dandelion greens, and potatoes. Raw foods such as alpha sprouts, parsley and garlic (capsule or fresh) are good choices for this disease since garlic helps stimulate the digestive tract - regardless if the dog has diabetes. Carrots can be either raw or cooked.

Chris
Regular
Regular

Female
Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2008-09-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fruits feeding

Post by yenlu on Wed 15 Oct 2008, 3:56 pm

I am feeding homecook to one of my dog, the meal consist of meats, grains and vegetables. Previously, fruits are occasional treats. Like apple, they take a quarter a day. Like what is said above, do not include fruits in their meal, or before and after meal because the digestion period is different for cook and uncook food. I will always make sure they have fruits before or after 1 hour of their main meal. I have stressed out a few times saying do not mix cooked with uncook food together. This includes kibbles + vege/fruits.. kibbles consider as cooked food.

In a dog's diet, protein, carbohydrate and vitamins are essential. Meats are a good source of protein, while grains and some vegetables are good quality source of carbohydrates, for example potato, sweet potato, pumpkin, rice, brown rice, oats and barley. Vegetables and fruits are source of vitamins. It is encourage to add green leafy into the diet because it is high in calcium and vitamins. Dogs are actually omnivores (not carnivores like many claims) and they eats a variety of food to obtain enough nutrients just like human. That is why we need to give a variety of vegetables and fruits into their diet. It is not good to give only carrots everyday, or only apple everyday. So what I did was blend a few types of vegetables (few kind of green leafy, and non leafy) and add into the main meal. Fruits, I blend in a few kind (sweets and non-sweets) and make into "yoghurt sherbet" make as daily treats to give them more nutrients.

This is now more into homecook talking LOL.. but I am just sharing how I feed the fruits.

*Just moved this topic to health care section*

yenlu
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Female
Number of posts : 3411
Registration date : 2008-02-01

View user profile http://doggytales.8forum.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by jernnie on Wed 22 Oct 2008, 7:52 pm

Hakao eats only fresh cherry which is a bit expensive here, around 450 Baht/kg.

At first I do blamed him about too picky to canine nutritionist but he explained that itís a sign that Hakao lack of Vitamin C, he said dog do knows and smells Vitamin C while we are not. Moreover, when dog knows what his body want heíll eat it.

After I heard that I think itís true coz in the past when I brushed Hakaoís teeth some blood always come out from his gum. And only 2 weeks past after I gave him 2 cherries everyday no blood from his gum anymore.

jernnie
Regular
Regular

Female
Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-09-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by yenlu on Wed 22 Oct 2008, 8:19 pm

So, we should bring them to fruits/vege stall let them choose what they want? Keke..

yenlu
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MasterAlvin on Wed 22 Oct 2008, 8:49 pm

lol... if i do that Seven'd probably lick everything.

MasterAlvin
A Maniac
A Maniac

Male
Number of posts : 1418
Registration date : 2008-05-07

View user profile http://anotheralvin.multiply.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris on Wed 22 Oct 2008, 11:18 pm

jernnie wrote:Hakao eats only fresh cherry which is a bit expensive here, around 450 Baht/kg.

At first I do blamed him about too picky to canine nutritionist but he explained that itís a sign that Hakao lack of Vitamin C, he said dog do knows and smells Vitamin C while we are not. Moreover, when dog knows what his body want heíll eat it.

After I heard that I think itís true coz in the past when I brushed Hakaoís teeth some blood always come out from his gum. And only 2 weeks past after I gave him 2 cherries everyday no blood from his gum anymore.

hello jernnie, that's an interesting find. if my dog vomits after taking orange, does it mean it is too acidic? but he can take kiwi tho...

Chris
Regular
Regular

Female
Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2008-09-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by yenlu on Wed 29 Oct 2008, 5:14 pm

But it is always advice not to give citrus fruits. Hmm.. maybe its okay in small amount ocassionaly.

yenlu
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by lynn on Wed 19 Nov 2008, 10:36 pm

how bout orange juices @.@

lynn
New Comer
New Comer

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-11-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by yenlu on Wed 19 Nov 2008, 11:15 pm

if fresh orange should be ok.. the one that you squeeze the orange wor.. no sugar or anything else added. Don't choose sour orange lah.. use those sweet one.

yenlu
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:23 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down